Monarchs rally for 3-2 friendly win over BYU on PDL club’s Senior Night

July 15th, 2015 | by Sean Walker
Garrett Gee celebrates his goal for BYU men's soccer against Real Monarchs on Senior Night at South Field. (Photo: Dan Haslam, BYU sports marketing)

Garrett Gee celebrates his goal for BYU men’s soccer against Real Monarchs on Senior Night at South Field. (Photo: Dan Haslam, BYU sports marketing)

Alec Sundly scored two second-half goals to rally Real Monarchs SLC past BYU, 3-2 in an inter-league friendly between the Wasatch Front rivals on Wednesday night at South Field in Provo.

BYU took a 2-0 lead at halftime, but the Monarchs rallied back after replacing their primarily academy-based lineup in the 55th minute with a largely starter-based formation.

Garrett Gee scored the first goal of the game for BYU, taking a long ball from Pedro Vasconcelos 40 yards from goal and blazing a one-on-one trail at the goalkeeper before chipping it in to go up 1-0 on Senior Night.

Vasconcelos continued to dish it again, finding newcomer Christian Bain inside the box before the recent Alta High graduate scored the first goal of his BYU career in the 40th minute to double the Cougars’ advantage.

Goalkeeper Jake Petersen made three saves to preserve the first-half shutout for BYU.

Johnny Caporelli pulled one back with a golaze off a free kick in the 50th minute, squeezing a direct shot between the wall and the far post to trim the deficit to 2-1 before head coach Bingy Lara made 10 subs to bring in most of his first-team players.

With that change, the Monarchs reasserted themselves  during a two-week break in USL play. Lucas Baldin’s shot helped on by Max Rauhofer’s header down into the box kissed the far post in the 63rd minute, and a free-kick opportunity just two minutes later sailed high over the crossbar.

Alec Sundly had a header from close range go just wide of the bar 10 minutes later, and the Monarchs earned a corner kick in the 74th minute that produced a snap-down header wide of the post on Petersen’s final play of his career. Brenden Ottman finished out the final 15 minutes in goal for the Cougars.

Sundly didn’t miss a second time in the 80th minute, finishing off a nice string of passes from Riley McGovern and Rauhofer to to tie the game at 2-2 with 10 minutes left in regulation.

Sundly pulled the Monarchs up, 3-2 with his brace two minutes later, finishing off a corner kick from Baldin to give the RSL third-division affiliate its first lead of the game.

Winston Sorhaitz nearly equalized with four minutes left in regulation from a set-piece rebound in front of goal, but the offside flag was already up. The Monarchs added a chance in the final two minutes of stoppage time, but flag was up on the breakaway as well.

Sean Walker

Sean Walker

Salt City FC editor-in-chief Sean Walker has been covering soccer at all levels since 2007. He began his career in Las Vegas, and has since written for publications from the Intermountain West to Central New York, where he attended graduate school in 2012. Currently, Sean covers Real Salt Lake and Major League Soccer for A struggling Evertonian by birth, Sean follows European soccer through the blue lens of the Toffees, and has strong feelings toward the UEFA Europa League.

Leave a Reply