Cutler’s penalty kick draws BYU level with Real Colorado, 1-1 on rainy Saturday

June 6th, 2015 | by Sean Walker

BYU vs RC Foxes, Jun 6, South FieldIn a late, wet kickoff on Saturday night, BYU drew Real Colorado through a second-half penalty kick from Dallin Cutler to earn its third-straight with a 1-1 draw Saturday at South Field in Provo.

Dallin Cutler stepped to the spot in the 80th minute after the Foxes’ Jordan Gealy was sent off with a red card following his foul in the box, and Cutler slice a low shot into the bottom left corner to tie the game at 1-1 with only 10 minutes left.

“Dallin made his PK against Harpo’s, and he has a two-step approach that doesn’t give the goalkeeper time to cheat,” BYU coach Chris Watkins said. “And he hits it hard and accurate as well. We like him at the spot. Dallin’s our logical choice.”

Both teams came out fired up in the second half of a game that was delayed nearly 40 minutes from thunderstorms. BYU only had three shots in the opening period, but ended the game with 13 shots, including seven shots on goal.

“I’m not proud of fouls and things, but we have to play with a little more fight in us,” Watkins said. “We’re the smallest team in this league, so we have to fight. I think that was good.”

Javin Bastic gave Real Colorado (1-1-3) the lead in the 29th minute, barreling into the box and heading home a goal inside the far post after Josh Fallon slammed his 40-yard free kick over the defense on the visitors’ third shot of the night.

Winston Sorhaitz put up the first shot of the game, cruising down the right side of the field and lobbing a ball at the area before it dipped high of the goal just five minutes into the match. The Cougars (0-2-3) tried to take advantage of the speedy play caused by a 40-minute weather delay in Provo, and starting midfielder Josh Hunter — who nearly scored late Friday night between the same teams — sprinted to the left side of the end line and crossed a ball that skipped across the face of goal and out of the reach of Sorhaitz and the forward line.

Unlike Friday night, when both teams combined for 18 shots, Real Colorado led BYU, 8-5 in shots after the first half. After the Cougars opened the game on the offensive foot in the opening 10 minutes, the Foxes rallied and spent the majority of the final 30 minutes of the first half on BYU’s side of the field.

Danny Arrubla dribbled into the area at the start of the 90th minute and sliced a shot on target, but BYU goalkeeper Brenden Ottman made one of his three saves of the night to preserve the draw.

Arrubla then had a golden opportunity in the third minute of stoppage time, but his blast from inside the box caromed off the bottom of the crossbar and stayed in the field of play.

BYU will play Tuesday at 7:30 p.m. at South Field agains the Las Vegas Mobsters, who boast UVU midfielder and former Deseret News Mr. Soccer award winner Lucas Cawley among the Southern Nevada roster.



Sean Walker

Sean Walker

Salt City FC editor-in-chief Sean Walker has been covering soccer at all levels since 2007. He began his career in Las Vegas, and has since written for publications from the Intermountain West to Central New York, where he attended graduate school in 2012. Currently, Sean covers Real Salt Lake and Major League Soccer for A struggling Evertonian by birth, Sean follows European soccer through the blue lens of the Toffees, and has strong feelings toward the UEFA Europa League.

Leave a Reply