BYU earns fourth-straight draw, 2-2 against Las Vegas

June 9th, 2015 | by Sean Walker

BYU Soccer vs Las Vegas Mobsters

Dallin Cutler and Ryan Botcherby each scored a goal, and BYU came back, took the lead, then settled for its fourth-straight draw in Premier Development League play Tuesday night with a 2-2 draw against the Las Vegas Mobsters at South Field.

“It was awesome. It was kind of surreal,” said Botcherby, who scored on his first and second touches of the match in his first substitute appearance in five games. “I was just hoping he didn’t get to the ball before I did. I waited on it, took it down, and just tried to slot it in the other side.”

Craig Carney bent a free kick from the top of the box around the wall to give the Mobsters a 1-0 lead in the 45th minute, just as clocked changed over to stoppage time on a half that saw the visitors out-shoot BYU 10-6, with four shots on goal apiece.

And that’s where BYU coach Christ Watkins wasn’t happy with his team.

“I was about as upset as I’ve bene with this team in a few months today,” Watkins said after the match. “We’ve made some epic mistakes to give away four points now late in a game. I can live with those when the effort is there. But I am disappointed in the first 45 minutes of the match; I thought we learned a lesson last week, and that progression didn’t get better.

“In the second half, we came out and lit it up. But to throw away points like that when I thought we were better than that, at least tonight. We throw them a goal, give them some momentum, go down on the ropes, but unfortunately we come back for a draw.”

Botcherby scored the equalizing goal on his first touch of the match in the 77th minute, leveling the equalizer inside the far post and just out of the reach of Las Vegas goalkeeper Hector Diaz. Cutler then pulled the Cougars ahead with a shot off a rebound that burned into the net just two minutes after Botcherby’s equalizer.

“Ryan Botcherby’s a great story. Every day, he’s dying to get in … almost to the pestering route,” Watkins said. “But he did well in practice, and we wanted to get him some minutes. Tonight, it really paid off.”

In the second minute of stoppage time, BYU nearly pulled the comeback again, but Pedro Vasconcelos’ free kick from 30 yards out was cleared out by the Mobsters’ back line.

Uzi Tayou broke through for the Mobsters with just under 10 minutes left, blasting a shot past BYU goalkeeper Brenden Ottman to tie the match at 2-2 in the 81st minute.

Junior Lartey pushed forward late in the first half, took a touch, then pushed a shot on frame in the 43rd minute that Diaz dived low to make the save. Cutler put up his first shot of the game in the 72nd minute, the second shot of the second half, but his ambitious attempt from the edge of the box veered just wide of the goal.

Diaz finished with five saves to help the Mobsters earn the draw, and Ottman had six saves for the Cougars.

BYU finishes its June homestand Thursday against Mountain Division-leading Albuquerque Sol FC.  The match is scheduled to kick off at 7:30 p.m. MT at South Field.

Sean Walker

Sean Walker

Salt City FC editor-in-chief Sean Walker has been covering soccer at all levels since 2007. He began his career in Las Vegas, and has since written for publications from the Intermountain West to Central New York, where he attended graduate school in 2012. Currently, Sean covers Real Salt Lake and Major League Soccer for A struggling Evertonian by birth, Sean follows European soccer through the blue lens of the Toffees, and has strong feelings toward the UEFA Europa League.

Leave a Reply